Sunday, April 13, 2014

Superman Wonder Woman #7

   While I'm willing to believe that Superman can survive an atomic blast, I'm not so sure I'm willing to accept Wonder Woman is quite that tough.

   But obviously I'm wrong, as this issue is mostly consumed with both heroes recovering from last issue's fiery conclusion, which (apparently) ended the threat posed by General Zod (who managed to escape the Phantom Zone in an earlier issue).

   There are some nice calm moments for the super-couple, which will come in handy given the nature of the menace revealed in the closing pages of this issue.

   The Superman Wonder Woman title continues to be one of the better of the more recent vintage "New 52" series - which surprises me, because I still don't "believe" them as a couple.

   But writer Charles Soule is mixing exciting stories, genuine menaces and the mythologies of both characters in clever and satisfying ways.

   The art is quite good and meshes well, which is a bit of a surprise since it's credited to three different pencilers - Paulo Siqueira, Eddy Barrows and Barry Kitson - and is inked by two others - Eber Ferreira and Kitson.

   This issue is a prelude to an upcoming crossover event that will cross over into four different issues:. I'm generally opposed to the idea of being strong-armed into buying issues of a series I don't follow, so I'll be missing most of those. Let me know how it comes out.

Grade: B+

---------------------

No comments: