Thursday, October 30, 2014

All-New X-Men #33

   I have to admit that, of all the X-Men comics in recent memory, All-New X-Men is my favorite.

   There are several reasons.

   For the most part, it focuses on a small group of heroes - namely, the original team (displaced through time to the present) - although they've swapped Cyclops (now in his own title) for X-23 (who sorta kinda has a thing with the Angel. Maybe).

   The characters are fun, with distinct personalities, and the dialogue is sharp and entertaining.

   The stories by Brian Michael Bendis are fast, breezy and unpredictable.

   The art (here by Mahmud Asrar) has been quite good.

   Did I already mention not having to deal with a cast of thousands?

    All of which brings us to this issue, which continues the adventures of the team on the Ultimate version of Earth. A confrontation with a powerful new mutant ends with the team somehow transported to this world - separated and scattered.

   Here familiar menaces are somehow different but just as dangerous - and even friends can be a threat.

   It's building slowly, but it's been a great ride so far. It's been a while since I felt that way about an X-Men comic.

Grade: A-

-------------------------

1 comment:

Dwayne said...

My thoughts exactly. I've tried to start other x titles, but this is the only one I continue with. I can't stay interested in the others.